CEPT ICA-OSGeo Laboratory aims the evaluation, usage and dissemination of open-source IT and geospatial software technologies, open data, and open standards by integration of these resources in teaching and research.
CEPT ICA-OSGeo Laboratory is part of the international "ICA-OSGeo-Open Source Geospatial Labs Network". The aim of this worldwide network is to provide on a global basis collaboration opportunities for academia, industry and government organizations in open source GIS software and data based on a Memorandum of Understanding which was signed In September 2011, by the International Cartographic Association (ICA) and the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) in Nuremberg, Germany.
Objectives of the lab are to provide
- An understanding and knowledge about Open Source in general and in the field of geospatial information technology
- The appraisal of capabilities and limitations of products of the Open Source Geospatial domain, also in combination with Closed Source solutions
- An understanding about Open Data and the value of Geospatial Data
- Training and expertise on open-source geospatial software
- The ability to implement scalable, multi-tier client-server architectures
- Support for the development and documentation of open-source geospatial software
- A contribution to disaster mapping and management by open tools and open data.
CEPT ICA-OSGeo Laboratory is open for all members of CEPT University and seeks active collaborations with the industry and partners outside the University.